Teacher of Music – Secondary
De Warenne Academy
Purpose of the job:
De Warenne Academy have an exciting teaching opportunity and are looking for an outstanding, committed and motivated qualified teacher to contribute to the development of teaching and learning and curriculum in our Music department. This is an ideal opportunity for a classroom practitioner who can display a real passion for developing and inspiring the pupils in their care.
This is a permanent part-time role for 19.5 hours per week (3 days).
Applications are welcome from both newly qualified teachers and experienced professionals.
Here at De Warenne Academy we are on a journey of rapid improvement and are currently ranked as the 3rd highest performing school in Doncaster and 9th out of 55 similar schools nationally. We are the highest performing secondary school of those situated in our local area and are improving year on year.
We serve the villages of Conisbrough and Denaby Main, situated between Doncaster and Rotherham. We are a small but oversubscribed academy, with over 700 students on roll, and we pride ourselves on knowing our students well and doing our best to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
We benefit from having a recently built academy situated in spacious grounds with excellent facilities.
Yet again students, parents and staff were celebrating record GCSE results at De Warenne this summer, with the year group having made more progress than any other year group in the history of the academy. The most able students did extremely well, picking up prestigious grade 9s across a range of subjects including maths, English, science, computer science, history, geography and French. Overall we were delighted with the progress made by our Class of 2021 in such challenging circumstances.
Our staff are talented and enthusiastic and have all contributed to the academy’s success story. We have a staff rewards budget and socialise both as subject teams and as a whole staff. We also have access to a staff benefits scheme.
At De Warenne, we value the continuous professional development of all our employees and recognise that our staff and students are most successful when they feel happy, valued, challenged and supported to achieve their very best.
Our senior leadership team, along with our dedicated teachers and support staff, are committed to ensuring the best possible outcomes for every child in our care. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a team within a high-performing multi academy trust with exciting career prospects for successful applicants. Come and visit us and see for yourself!
Visits to the academy would be warmly welcomed by appointment. Please contact Mrs D Ellor on 01709 864001 if you would like to arrange a visit.
The role involves;
- Carrying out the professional duties of a teacher as circumstances may require and in accordance with academy policies, under the direction of the Principal.
- Promoting the achievement of high standards through effecting teaching and learning within subject area(s), preparation, evaluation and action planning.
- Modelling the vision and values of the academy.
- Being part of the team driving the development of the academy to become an ‘outstanding’ academy.
- Receiving and acting on feedback to build on the strengths and improve personal performance within the academy systems.
- Contributing, where appropriate, to implementing policies and practice and to promote collective responsibility for their implementation.
- Taking into account and constantly reviewing academy contextual factors and prior attainment when planning and teaching lessons.
- Working in a cross-curricular way to support subjects across the academy in the use of active learning approaches to enrich curriculum and skills delivery.
- Recognising, promoting and celebrating diversity.
- Internal: students, staff, Academy Advisory Board members, academy council members, parents and any other visitors to the academy.
- External: contractors, suppliers, parents, external agency professionals, other government and local authority staff, other staff from academies and schools.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Supervision and progress of students in allocated classes.
- Supervision of work of any classroom support staff during times they are allocated to classes.
Develop and sustain DEEP LEADERSHIP across the academy through:
- Being accountable for student progression for allocated classes.
- Being responsible for effective classroom management.
- Co-ordinating class work with any classroom assistant support.
- Developing and sustaining knowledge of current educational practices and be responsible for own continuing professional development.
- Evaluating lessons, incorporating students’ views and responses in order to reflect and act on strengths and areas for development.
- Aiding in co-ordinating events and experiences which support the academy to raise standards.
Develop and sustain DEEP LEARNING across the academy through:
- Working to student targets and ensure that progress is tracked through a range of strategies.
- Taking account and reviewing prior attainment when planning and teaching lessons.
- Reflecting on the success of teaching strategies, individual lessons and SoL in meeting the needs of students.
- Applying current guidelines on effective learning and teaching.
- Striving to deliver outstanding lessons.
- Delivering interactive lessons with students.
- Providing good quality assessment using formative and summative methods in conjunction with the academy’s AfL policy.
- Recording test results and ongoing teacher assessments.
Develop and sustain DEEP EXPERIENCE across the academy through:
- Having responsibility for developing and implementing SoL.
- Being responsible for identifying and reporting issues and developing solutions.
- Being responsible for the day to day delivery within the subject area, including assessment and reporting process.
- Developing the use of ICT within the curriculum.
- Adapting lessons and identifying next steps in response to evaluation of student progress.
- Setting effective homework and extension work to encourage and enliven student learning.
- Ensuring differentiation and personalisation of learning for all students.
- Being aware of the KS2 curriculum and the standards of progression and attainment for KS3 students.
- Co-ordinating displays with regards to events, opportunities and work which promote the department/academy.
Develop and sustain DEEP SUPPORT across the academy through:
- Complying with the academy’s Child Safeguarding Procedures and reporting concerns to the Designated Child Protection Officer.
- Taking responsibility for upholding standards of behaviour and classroom management within the classroom and the schools environment.
- Promoting the consistent and fair use of the behaviour policy within the classroom and the academy environment.
- Being the first line of contact for parents and carers concerns with regards to their child’s performance and well-being of your classes.
- Performing the duties of a Vertical Mentor Tutor if required, including the provision of information, advice and guidance for students.
Data processing and security
- To ensure strict confidentiality in all areas of work.
- To work and process personal and sensitive information in accordance with Data Protection Act 2018 including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018.
- To ensure work is conducted in a way that protects the safety and security of information (e.g. strong passwords, reporting breaches, securing paper records, securely disposing of records).
- To understand and comply with the statutory guidance regarding safeguarding of children, ensuring the safeguarding and promotion of children’s welfare at all times, reporting any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer immediately.
- To comply with the Trust and academy’s policies and procedures at all times.
This job description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the postholder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks, but sets out the main expectations of the academy in relation to the postholder’s professional responsibilities and duties. Elements of this job description and changes to it may be agreed at the request of the Principal or the incumbent of the post.
This post is subject to the current conditions of employment for Teachers contained in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document.
Postholders will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a Senior Leader to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in the job description.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding the welfare of its students and the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and checks of the relevant barred list / prohibition lists.
Not what you were looking for?
To apply, please visit the following URL:http://jobviewtrack.com/en-gb/job-1b4f417e480700004315521a482c1b140c43543c0c124943585f2f291a1d4e1700370d000d0f0052763b0c104545594c5f1d4f3a4215430b0d136c2a10531d0b6b274f4a5e4548166e5f124010575d/33abd0bd0247c0c5d0e5221ce3584f6d.html?affid=ae5691469f0d1768c62823c63d58e765+→