News feeds from notable sources in the community
Music Education and Technology applying technology and instructional strategy to music learning
- How Technology Is Shaping Reading Instruction—for Better or Worseon March 15, 2023 at 1:31 pm
F. Sheehan / Education Week and Getty What the research says about the benefits and drawbacks of reading on screens versus printed text. Sarah …
- Musicians can control expression using breath with this new hardwareby April Clare Welsh on March 7, 2023 at 2:50 pm
The AirMotion is a wearable "MIDI breath and motion controller" from Papritech Papritech have created "a MIDI breath and motion controller". The …
- The 123-year history of 'Life Every Voice and Sing,' the Black national anthem sung by Sheryl Lee Ralph at the Super Bowlby Yoonji Han on March 4, 2023 at 11:49 pm
The song known as the Black national anthem was the target of Republican lawmakers' ire after it was performed at the Super Bowl on Sunday for the …
- Riffusion, AI-based music generation where Beethoven meets Radioheadby Alfonso Maruccia on March 3, 2023 at 12:45 am
Forward-looking: First they came for our art, then they came for our text and garbled essays. Now they are coming for music, with a "new" machine …
- AudioCipher's word-to-MIDI melody generator is a neat way to beat creative blockby MusicRadar on March 3, 2023 at 12:40 am
AudioCipher is a curious plugin that we're filing in our "inspiration-generators" folder. The tool instantly produces MIDI data within your DAW, …
Music Education Works Collecting, summarising and sharing evidence of the impact of music education
- The neuroscience of loving musicby anitanee on February 12, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Professor Michael Spitzer says that humans have been making and learning to recognise music from the moment our species learned to walk on two legs.
- National Open Youth Orchestra publishes major reportby anitanee on February 10, 2023 at 7:46 pm
The report describes and evaluates the work of the world’s first disabled-led youth orchestra – essential reading for music educators looking to develop their understanding of inclusive music-making.
- Small study shows link between playing the piano, processing information, and moodby anitanee on February 6, 2023 at 3:20 pm
A new study by the University of Bath shows that learning to play the piano can improve the brain’s ability to process sights and sounds, and can help to improve mood.
- Music for Education and Wellbeing Podcast – with Ami Gaston of the International Cultural Arts and Healing Sciences Instituteby anitanee on January 20, 2023 at 8:35 am
Anita Holford, co-editor of Music Education Works, talks with Ami Gaston, who works internationally to promote healing and wellbeing through music and activism.
- Why music lessons make you a better learnerby anitanee on January 3, 2023 at 7:41 am
In both the UK and the US, school music is facing continuing pressures. Yet at the same time, there continues to be growing evidence for the cognitive benefits of music learning.
The Association for Popular Music Education Promoting and advancing popular music at all levels of education.
- The IDF Principle: Insuring Efficiency, Excellence, & Expedience During Creative Production Processesby Derris Lee on March 5, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Many arts entrepreneurs—such as music producers—may not be aware of the personnel and itemized roles that come with executing a creative endeavor with efficiency, excellence, and expedience. It is common for producers to take on new clients’ projects within a moment’s notice, and thus, make deadlines the arch-nemesis against the perceived reliability of producers to... The post The IDF Principle: Insuring Efficiency, Excellence, & Expedience During Creative Production Processes appeared first on The Association for Popular Music Education.
- APME Graduate Conference: Where We Came From and Where We Are Goingby rsanguinetti on January 19, 2023 at 1:03 pm
By Rachael Sanguinetti, APME Graduate Conference Committee Member APME is excited to be hosting the 2nd annual Graduate Conference this weekend. This year, we have presenters from five different countries bringing together their ideas about popular music, diversity, and the future of music education to attendees from across the globe. The theme of the conference,... The post APME Graduate Conference: Where We Came From and Where We Are Going appeared first on The Association for Popular Music Education.
- Mentoring: The Long Gameby rsanguinetti on December 9, 2022 at 5:57 pm
Many musicians and educators can point to mentors who have helped in various ways across our lives and careers. Individual mentors’ roles are unique, but below I share some thoughts on what might be common traits. The post Mentoring: The Long Game appeared first on The Association for Popular Music Education.
- Diagnosing and Solving Issues with Beginner Guitar Studentsby Amir Dawarzani on November 8, 2022 at 9:08 pm
During my eleven years of experience teaching guitar, I have recognized a root problem in beginner guitar students. This problem is the reason for many subsequent errors in playing the guitar. You are probably asking what it is. Do not think you are in a hurry? Yes, the answer is the same uncontrollable urge to rush.... The post Diagnosing and Solving Issues with Beginner Guitar Students appeared first on The Association for Popular Music Education.
- Music Production: Encouraging Girls and Young Womenby Kelley King on October 5, 2022 at 6:06 pm
The world of music production has always been, and continues to be, the ultimate boys’ club. In fact, according to a 2021 study by Stacy Smith and the USC Annenberg Inclusion Institute, women make up only 2.6% of music producers. I asked five women at various stages of their music industry careers for advice they... The post Music Production: Encouraging Girls and Young Women appeared first on The Association for Popular Music Education.
News Archive - AES Audio Engineering Society
- AES Europe 2023 Convention Releases Preliminary Program Details for Papers and Workshops Presentations; Early Bird Rates End March 20by Corey Walthall on March 17, 2023 at 12:30 pm
— Highly anticipated AES Europe Convention to highlight prevalent audio topics through a variety of formats including a series of immersive audio Workshops and a sweeping cross-section of audio technology and production sessions — The AES has announced its preliminary listings of Papers and Workshops presentations for the upcoming AES Europe 2023 Convention, being held… Continue reading AES Europe 2023 Convention Releases Preliminary Program Details for Papers and Workshops Presentations; Early Bird Rates End March 20 The post AES Europe 2023 Convention Releases Preliminary Program Details for Papers and Workshops Presentations; Early Bird Rates End March 20 appeared first on AES.
- AES Educational Foundation 2023 Scholarships and Grants Submissions Open Today – March 15by Corey Walthall on March 15, 2023 at 9:47 pm
— AES Student Members are encouraged to apply for a grant to help with their studies, made possible by individual and corporate financial support to the AES Educational Foundation — The Audio Engineering Society, celebrating “75 Years of Audio Innovation” in 2023, has announced details on this year’s AES Educational Foundation scholarships and grants. Applications… Continue reading AES Educational Foundation 2023 Scholarships and Grants Submissions Open Today – March 15 The post AES Educational Foundation 2023 Scholarships and Grants Submissions Open Today – March 15 appeared first on AES.
- Speaker and Special Event Updates Shared for AES Europe 2023by Corey Walthall on March 1, 2023 at 4:09 pm
— The Audio Engineering Society has announced Jamie Angus-Whiteoak as Heyser Memorial Lecturer, plus student, social and pre-convention events — The Audio Engineering Society, celebrating its 75th Anniversary in 2023, has revealed details on highlights of the upcoming AES Europe 2023 Convention being held at Aalto University, Espoo, Helsinki, Finland, May 13 – 15. AES’s… Continue reading Speaker and Special Event Updates Shared for AES Europe 2023 The post Speaker and Special Event Updates Shared for AES Europe 2023 appeared first on AES.
- AES DE&I Mentorship Program 2023 Term 1 Enrollment Openby Frank Wells on February 25, 2023 at 9:17 pm
AES Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee's Mentorship Program 12-week 2023 Term 1 runs Mar 6 - May 19 The post AES DE&I Mentorship Program 2023 Term 1 Enrollment Open appeared first on AES.
- Audio Engineering Society Recipient Of A Technical GRAMMY® Awardby Frank Wells on February 7, 2023 at 10:52 pm
AES acknowledged for its contributions of outstanding technical significance to the recording field. The post Audio Engineering Society Recipient Of A Technical GRAMMY® Award appeared first on AES.