Preschool and Elementary Music Teacher – First Presbyterian Christian School – Spokane, WA
First Presbyterian Christian School
From $17 an hour
Full Job Description
Part Time Preschool and Elementary Music Teacher
First Presbyterian Christian School is a private Christian school in the heart of Spokane. We offer a quality education to students in preschool and elementary school. Our students enjoy small class sizes and a loving, qualified staff.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH SPOKANE
Position Description: Music Teacher
PURPOSE: First Presbyterian School is commissioned by First Presbyterian Church to partner with families in order to provide an excellent Christ-centered academic experience for young children in a nurturing environment. This ministry position exists to support the vision and mission of First Presbyterian Church and to serve the community in which the school is located.
* To provide a stimulating learning environment for students in our students in music class where each child’s personal and academic growth is supported and affirmed.
* To nurture in each student: positive character traits, critical thinking skills, confidence as a capable learner, an understanding of God’s love, and a joyful delight in the learning process.
1. Demonstrate genuine love, understanding, enjoyment, and respect for school age children.
2. Integrate the Christian faith into the classroom via instruction, modeling, and connection with the personal lives of students.
3. Develop and implement an instructional program that maintains high academic standards consistent with Washington state learning requirements and provide for individual student needs and differences.
4. Prepare and maintain long-range and weekly lesson plans based on age-appropriate curriculum and current instructional strategies.
5. Maintain classroom discipline and use effective, age-appropriate classroom management skills.
6. Work collaboratively with team members to plan units and lessons, learn new teaching strategies, evaluate the overall program strengths and weaknesses, and make changes necessary to improve student learning.
7. Work closely with parents as partners in their child’s educational experience. Conduct parent teacher conferences twice yearly and as needed for individual children.
8. Demonstrate willingness to participate as a life-long learner in continuing professional growth opportunities through staff development and/or books studies at First Pres. School as well as participate in outside classes or conferences if they are available.
9. Be available to participate in some outside school time family night events a few times during the year such as classroom visit day, math/ literacy night, or other events as planned and agreed upon by school staff.
10. Be willing to share a classroom if needed.
11. Be comfortable putting on at least two performances with the students throughout the year.
12. Knowledge of teaching music and motion to preschool students.
Specific Skills and Qualifications Preferred:
- Personal commitment to the Christian faith as demonstrated in written statement of faith and interview
- Previous experience teaching or working with school age children which should include teaching and/or preparation for preschool and elementary school aged students.
- Specific training or knowledge of music education for both preschool and elementary school aged students. Willingness to acquire more training.
- Ability and desire to establish relationships with children and adults of varying socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, learning styles, and various disabilities.
- Preference given to applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree or have an education/teaching degree or certification.
Accountable to School Principal and School Board
Accountable to the FPC Session
Part-time Position: 15-20 hours per week
BiWeekly meeting on Tuesdays from 8:00 – 8:45am required
Compensation: Based on years of experience as outlined on the FPCS Salary schedule for specialists
As a member of the First Presbyterian Christian School staff, we ask that you make a statement of faith.
Applicants should enjoy working with children and should have a lot of energy. Some knowledge of using computers is helpful.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: From $17.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Monday to Friday
At this time, we are asking all staff to be vaccinated against COVID 19.
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- music instruction: 1 year (Preferred)
- music performance: 2 years (Preferred)
- elementary endorsement. (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
Hiring 1 candidate for this role