Movement Music and Drama Teacher – St. Thomas School – Medina, WA
St. Thomas School
Full Job Description
Open Position: Movement Music and Drama Teacher
Direct Reports: N/A
Reporting To: Director of the Early Learning Center
FLSA Status: Exempt
When Needed: 2022-2023 school year
FT/PT: Full time
Why St. Thomas School?
You thrive in a face-paced environment, working alongside others who share your ideals. You are inspired by children and appreciate their joy and energy. You enjoy making an impact and being part of something bigger than yourself. You believe that schools should be among the most innovative places on earth. And you are committed to excellence and professional growth.
We offer competitive salary, robust benefits, professional development, and an extraordinary work environment.
If this inspires you, wed love to learn more about you!
Who We Are:
Founded in 1951 and located on the east side of Seattle in Medina, Washington, STS is a private, non-sectarian school for Preschool through Eighth Grade students. Our educational journey is defined by a cognitively engaging program with an emphasis on developing character, leadership, and a passion for learning and achievement. Our highly regarded curriculum prepared students to excel at future endeavors while honoring the schools long standing core values.
We commit to an inclusive and diverse community in which everyone can say, “I belong.” We seek employees who are passionate, qualified, and offer diverse perspectives. We are particularly interested in the role education and a diverse learning environment play in promoting equity and inclusivity.
- A diverse, safe, and equitable school environment
- Actions and advocacy that support our Core Virtues
- Cultural competence, anti-bias, and social justice
- Intellectually curious and engaged global citizenship
Job Overview: The Music Movement Drama Teacher provides an exemplary instructional experience in our state-of-the art Performing Art Center (APAC). In collaboration with all faculty, especially with others in the movement/music/drama departments, the MMD Teacher develops and implements a developmentally appropriate physical, musical, and dramatical curriculum for Preschoolers, PreKindergartners, and Kindergarteners. This includes Divisional and All-School performances and presentations.
The MMD Teacher is a member of the Early Learning Division and works collaboratively with Faculty across the school, participating in All-School events. The MMD Teacher creates and implement lessons for all Preschool, PreKindergarten, and Kindergarten students, and may teach Middle School Master Class in Theater. Participation in school-wide and/or division specific theatrical and musical performances is part of this role. This position provides musical support for the schools daily chapel program.
Required Education, Training & Experience:
- A Bachelors Degree, with an emphasis in early childhood, elementary and/or middle school education expertise or related areas from a four-year college or university required
- Masters Degree in Music Education or Fine Arts or Dramatic Arts and Washington State Teacher Certification preferred
- 3+ years of combined teaching experience in an early childhood setting required
- Experience in developing and writing curriculum
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong understanding of musical, dramatic and movement skills as they relate to students in preschool through eighth grade
- Thorough understanding of child development in presentation, vocal and instrumental skills, including piano and Orff instruments
- Developing students performance skills
- Strong vision and course for the program and ability to work with a wide variety of people to ensure the success of each program and its performances
- High energy level with ability to rally and encourage students in cooperative projects
- Ability to quickly switch gears between age groups and subject areas
- Expertise in early childhood education, including best early childhood practices, theories of constructivist education, and the early childhood programs from Reggio Emilia and the Project Approach
- Knowledge of current trends and research in learning and assessment
- Ability to manage the non-instructional human dynamics in the educational setting
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the children and program
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Ability to work collaboratively in team situations
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (Contd):
- Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows environment using Microsoft Office, master common automated systems for record keeping, and learn new technology
- Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
- Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds of equipment
- Ability to move freely: jogging, skipping, dancing, jumping, hopping, galloping, etc. are all essential to the position
- Ability to sing and talk in full voice so that instruction can be heard must possess vocal stamina
- Ability to play the piano strongly preferred
- Ability to work outside in all weather
- Flexibility in providing instruction in a variety of spaces
- Some travel required (field trips)
If this sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you. Please click on Apply Now on our careers website and complete our online employment application. Then upload your résumé and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in and qualified for this position.
Position open until filled.
No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Thank you for your interest in St. Thomas School and this position.
This description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Movement+Music+Drama+Teacher&c=St.+Thomas+School&l=Medina%2C+WA&jk=c1dd4be147599451&rtk=1ftt4cl6hpiag800&from=rss→