Director of Liturgy and Music – St. Francis de Sales Parish Lake Geneva WI – Lake Geneva, WI
St. Francis de Sales Parish Lake Geneva WI
$70,000 – $75,000 a year
Full Job Description
JOB DESCRIPTION for St. Francis de Sales Parish
Position Title: Director of Liturgy and Music
The Director of Liturgy and Music is responsible for enriching the worship life of the parish community. This employee is a professional with advanced training in music and/or liturgy, has a thorough understanding of Catholic liturgy and is a leader who possesses the skills and talents to enhance worship through the varied expressions of liturgical music. The Director of Liturgy and Music will creatively and energetically encourage the assembly to live the gospel message by enabling and coordinating liturgical music for the worshiping assembly, vocal ensembles, cantors, instrumentalists, accompanists, and others in music ministry.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Working knowledge in MS Office products and/or Google documents.
- Valid driver’s license for the State of Wisconsin preferred.
- Active Catholic able to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.
- Bilingual Spanish/ English preferred, not required.
Director of Liturgy and Music:
- Education or experience in training, delegation, empowering and supervision preferred/required.
- Completed background check.
- Completed Safeguarding: All God’s Children requirements.
- Professional working attitude and collaborative approach.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Ability to make decisions, attentive to details, and troubleshoot.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Primary Function of the Position:
As a member of the pastoral staff, the Director of Liturgy and Music plans, coordinates, and implements strategies to enhance all liturgical celebrations. DLM is responsible for overseeing the coordination of all liturgical ministers and all aspects of parish music. DLM is the principal musician for all parish liturgies as well as weddings and funerals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate a knowledge and application of these basic documents and stays current on newly released and/or revised liturgical/music church documents:
- General Instruction of the Roman Missal (2010)
- Understand the requirements of the following in preparing the musical prayer of the parish: the lectionary, liturgical calendar, sacramentary, and sacramental rites.
- Execute all parish liturgical celebrations including weekends., solemnities and feasts, school liturgies, sacramental celebrations, and special occasions, chooses music, coordinates the music ministry, and acts as primary musician/accompanist/director.
- Plan and provide music for non-sacramental celebrations including devotions, vespers/evening prayer, penance celebrations, prayer services, and meetings.
- Prepare assembly for liturgies through rehearsals prior to liturgies, rehearsals with students in parish school or religious education programs.
- Schedule and assist with some training of liturgical ministers (i.e. ushers, sacristans, environment, servers, readers, presiders, gift bearers, extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion, ).
- Recruit, schedule, rehearse, and direct all music ministers and choirs.
- Provide liturgical formation for the parish which fosters full, conscious, and active participation. Help the parish grow in its understanding of liturgy and prayer.
- Prepare Parish Liturgical/Musical Guidelines in collaboration with the Pastor and Prayer and Worship Committee that comply with established liturgical norms.
- Maintain and update worship hymnals.
- Prepare Orders of Worship and any other worship aids for parish liturgies as needed.
- Choose music for assembly, instrumentalists, cantors, and choirs.
- Consult with the staff, liturgy committee, and environment committee to form liturgical goals and initiatives and to plan liturgical season.
- Set up liturgical needs–hosts/wine, liturgical books, vessels, microphones and/or sound system.
- Assist visiting clergy.
- Rehearse music with presiders.
- Create and prepare scripts for readers and priests for Holy Week and other large liturgical celebrations following the Roman Missal, guided by the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy and by the GIRM.
- Oversee the sacristan, sacristy, vessels, and all operations of the liturgical space including maintenance of equipment, ordering of supplies, and ensuring proper liturgical procedures.
- Oversee the coordination and planning of seasonal art and environment including ordering flowers and candles.
- Read and reflect on Sunday and seasonal scriptures.
- Maintain a usable repertoire and file of music.
- Maintain copyright privileges.
Note: The purpose of this document is to describe the general nature and level of work performed by personnel so classified; it is not intended to serve as an inclusive list of all responsibilities associated with this position.
St. Francis de Sales Parish in beautiful Lake Geneva, Wisconsin seeks a Director of Liturgy Music. Applicant should be well versed in Catholic Liturgy and a variety of musical styles. Responsibilities include serving as principal organist/pianist for all Masses, accompanying school activities/ Masses, training/scheduling of liturgical ministers, working with committees, preparing orders of worship, and directing/rehearsing of cantors/choirs/children’s choirs/instrumentalists. Strong proficiency in organ, piano, and choral conducting are essential. Computer skills and sound system knowledge expected, bi-lingual a plus. Full time position available beginning July 1.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 – $75,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location
Hiring 1 candidate for this role
Login to see the full job post and apply link. Register here for your free account.
Become a pro member to set up custom job alerts (daily/weekly/mothly)