Broadcast Engineer at the University of Oklahoma 214044 – The University of Oklahoma – Norman, OK
The University of Oklahoma
$65,000 – $69,000 a year
Full Job Description
Broadcast Engineer – Job Number: 214044
Organization: College of Journalism
Job Location: Oklahoma-Norman-Norman Campus
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Salary Range: $65,000 to $69,000 depending on experience
Benefits Provided: Yes
Required Attachments: Resume, Cover Letter
***To apply for this position you MUST go to, jobs.ou.edu and click on, “External Applicants.” Next, look for the search field that allows you to enter a job number, enter, 214044, this will allow you to review the job and apply.***
The Gaylord College Chief Engineer is responsible for maintaining all upgraded HD equipment, must be able to install and train others on the use of equipment in a collaborative student-focused culture. Plays a major role in the continuation of on-air student broadcasts OU Nightly and Sooner Sports Pad. Must be able to document new equipment and repair old equipment that is still useful. Broadcast TV station experience is preferred.
Job Duties Include:
- Maintains on-air systems, including automation system, on-air switchers, large routing switcher, server systems, transmitters and all other equipment associated with both television and radio stations. Ensures the broadcasting areas are online and ready for use each day by students and faculty. This includes regular and preventative maintenance in order to troubleshoot and repair all broadcast/production-related technical equipment. Responsible for the technical setup of the Gaylord Hall first floor broadcast, auditorium facilities and to train others how to use equipment. Maintains and operates digital servers used in a television broadcasting facility.
- Functions as onsite studio engineering support for the daily newscast production and other productions. Assists students and faculty as needed on set-up and operation of broadcast/production, video, audio, and photographic equipment.
- Is responsible for the maintenance, repair, and care for all student-use gear and equipment and to train others how to repair equipment. Tracks and maintains records regarding the maintenance and repair of all equipment and gear related to broadcast operations (college and student use). Supports classroom instruction by giving technical assistance to broadcast and production students and faculty.
- Provides professional and logistical arrangements, cost estimates and staff and equipment scheduling; securing needed materials and/or services and monitoring production, project progress and timelines regarding the broadcast operations function. Project manager for
- Serves as the Chief Gaylord College audio/visual technical support person for all events and academic activities. May coordinate other support, however, this position is responsible for ensuring this function. Maintains FCC compliance, as needed.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education/job related experience, AND
- 18-36 months Broadcast experience, broadcast engineering or broadcast production.
- Basic computer skills
- Advanced computer skills with wide knowledge of business software
- Effective oral and written communications
- Must be able to supervise student teams and communicate directions and expectations effectively
- Must be able to create and deliver effective training presentations
Advertised Physical Requirements:
- Ability to lift and carry items up to 75 pounds; ability to work on equipment in confined spaces; ability to stand for extended periods of time; ability to squat, bend, and to be flexible when working on, repairing, or installing equipment within the broadcast plant. Ability to communicate oral and written.
- 3+ years experience as a broadcast engineer
- Previous experience working with college students
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Strong diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Strong time management skills
- Previous experience as supervisor
- Experience with automation software, broadcast and streaming servers, mics, intercoms, prompters and cameras.
Supervision: Student Group
- If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tuberculosis Testing policy. To view the policy, visit https://hr.ou.edu/Policies-Handbooks/TB-Testing.
- The University of Oklahoma complies with the Federal COVID-19 vaccine requirement for all employees. All current and future employees must provide proof of full vaccination or request an accommodation for exemption from the Federal requirement. For detailed information regarding this requirement, visit https://hr.ou.edu/News/Coronavirus-COVID-19-Information.
Hiring contingent upon a Background Check?– Yes
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, or health care services that the University operates or provides.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 – $69,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Do you have at least 18 months of Broadcast/Broadcasting Engineering or Production experience?
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Broadcast+Engineer&c=The+University+of+Oklahoma&l=Norman%2C+OK&jk=bf8ef202e8e27423&rtk=1fs9cfd4vo1lh800&from=rss→
Login to see the full job post and apply link. Register here for your free account.
Become a pro member to set up custom job alerts (daily/weekly/mothly)