Upper School & Middle School Choral Music Teacher – The Overlake School – Redmond, WA
The Overlake School
Full Job Description
Upper School and Middle School Choral Music Teacher
Position Type: Faculty, 75% FTE (Sabbatical Replacement)
Start: August 17, 2022 through January 6, 2023
School Name: The Overlake School
City, State: Redmond, WA
Description: The Overlake School, an independent, non-profit, NWAIS accredited 5th-12th grade school, seeks a Part-Time Choral Music teacher as a sabbatical replacement. We are searching for an outstanding educator who will work to ensure student success and who will contribute enthusiastically to our school community.
The Overlake School is committed to diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, socio-economic status, gender, sexual orientation, or disability in the administration of its educational policies, financial aid, employment, and other school-administered programs. Our school is committed to the strategic goals of developing our collective capacity in areas of well-being for all, the attraction and retention of talented and qualified educators, integration of diversity, equity & inclusion into the life of our school, and defining our institutional identity.
Responsibilities: The part-time choral music instructor will teach one semester each; 7th & 8th grade choir, 9th – 12th grade Concert Choir (non-auditioned) and 9th – 12th grade Chamber Choir (auditioned). Daily hours are 8:10am – 3:30pm M-F, on a rotating block schedule.
- Use a variety of instructional techniques and methods to motivate, inspire, create connection, and develop appreciation for the art of singing and choral music.
- Establish and maintain standard of behavior, creating a safe, positive, and effective environment for learning during group rehearsals and musical performances.
- Evaluate student growth in skills and practices; prepare assessments within Canvas and communicate effective feedback for each student
- Model nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
Interested candidates are required to apply through our website at www.overlake.jobs
- Strong musicianship skills: piano proficiency preferred
- Brings perspectives, identities and skills that reflect, affirm and enrich the diversity of the Overlake community
- Culturally responsive teaching practices that serve our diverse student population
- Natural rapport and demonstrated effective leadership with students
- Strong, effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional demeanor and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Online or Hybrid teaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Education or Applied Music
- Minimum two years relevant teaching experience, or working directly with high school and/or middle school choral ensembles (including conducting experience)
- Proficiency in voice and vocal pedagogy
- In-depth knowledge of choral music techniques, skills, and practices
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer literate and technologically proficient
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (including booster if eligible)
- Able to pass background check