Post-Production Instructor – UCLA Extension – Los Angeles, CA
Course disciplines in the Entertainment Studies Program span subject areas such as Business and Management of Entertainment, Film & TV Development, Producing, Directing, Acting, Cinematography, Post-Production, Film Scoring, Independent Music Production, and Music Business. Our courses and certificate programs offer students the opportunity to learn from highly qualified practitioners who are passionate about teaching.
Applications to teach are accepted throughout the year in order to fill immediate program needs and to increase the depth of the instructor pool, but interviews will only be scheduled with qualified applicants who can fill anticipated openings.
Post-Production Instructor Search
Qualified applicants possessing teaching experience and professional experience in the following area(s) are encouraged to apply:
Post-Production, Editing on AVID Media Composer, Editing on Adobe Premiere Pro, Sound Editing in Pro-Tools, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, and Color Correction.
All instructors should have current or recent professional experience in at least one of these areas so that they can help students understand and navigate the evolving landscape of Post-Production for Film and Television today.
Classes are offered online or in person (remotely via Zoom during the pandemic). Classes held in person/remotely via Zoom meet once a week for 11 weeks, typically evenings from 7-10pm. Online classes are asynchronous (no live interaction) and deadline-driven. All in person/remote via Zoom courses use an online course support platform for distributing course materials, syllabi, assignments, and feedback.
- Develop or update course syllabus to meet campus approval requirements, in consultation with the UCLA Extension Program Director and Program Manager.
- Use subject-matter expertise to impart knowledge to students and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e. make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
- Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum.
- Utilize Canvas as a course support platform in in-person/ remote via Zoom courses, and as the delivery platform in online and hybrid courses.
- Post final student grades to the transcript system in a timely manner, no later than 2 weeks after course end date.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner.
- Communicate with Program Director and Program Staff in a timely manner.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all new hire paperwork, submitting updated quarterly syllabus, posting bio and photo on the UCLA Extension website, accepting quarterly contract, submitting required textbook orders, and communicating classroom needs to the appropriate people.
- Participate in required orientations and instructor training programs.
- Assisting in occasional program activities such as open houses, guest lecturing, community events.
- Employ culturally sensitive teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations.
- Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of Post-Production.
- Respond to student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Director as needed.
- Maintain a record of final grades for up to 13 months following the last class session.
- Professional experience in the area that you apply to teach in.
- Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity.
- Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence.
- Proficiency in or willingness to learn the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools, even if your assignment is in person or remote via Zoom.
- Online teaching experience preferred.
- College-level and/or continuing education teaching experience preferred.
- Experience designing curriculum and measuring student performance preferred.
Special Conditions of Employment
Instructors are hired on a quarterly contract basis. Compensation is $2,450 per course, per quarter. Courses are typically 33 hours.
Because Extension is a division of UCLA, all Extension degree-credit instructors and courses must be formally approved according to the regulations of the Academic Senate of the University of California. Eligibility to teach a course is contingent upon this formal academic approval. Once approved, teaching assignments are “by agreement.” The Instructor’s Contract outlines the deliverables for the course, the course schedule, and the compensation terms, subject to Extension policies and procedures. UCLA Extension makes no commitment to hire an instructor until it has sent and received a signed Instructor Contract. Should the course section an instructor plans to teach be cancelled for any reason, the Instructor Contract, including rights to compensation for future section meetings, is voided.
In an effort to promote and maintain a healthy environment for our students, visitors and employees, UCLA is a smoke-free site. Smoking is prohibited within the boundaries of all UCLA owned, occupied, leased, and associated building and facilities.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Post+Production+Instructor&c=UCLA+Extension&l=Los+Angeles%2C+CA&jk=7472126648bb74b2&rtk=1fs9aml8do2hp800&from=rss→