Music Director – Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) – Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE)
Full Job Description
Music Director to join our WMSE department. WMSE’s reputation in our community is based on our love and knowledge of music, regardless of genre, type, style or era. Our music director will embody this love of music while bringing passion and an encyclopedic knowledge of music to the job. The Music Director is responsible for maintaining the WMSE Music Library. This includes all cataloging, evaluating and chart reporting.
Essential Job Functions
- Music Evaluations
- The Music Director is responsible for evaluating all incoming recordings for FCC appropriateness and “best fit” for our scheduled programs.
- The Music Director supervises volunteer reviewers and librarians to ensure work is completed to our high standards and in a timely fashion.
- Acts as a champion of the station’s format and works with volunteer DJs to ensure the highest quality material is aired.
- Possess a thorough and intense knowledge of Milwaukee’s music scene; not limited to a specific genre but must be conversant in all genres of music made in Milwaukee and played on WMSE.
- Library Operations
- The Music Director will maintain up to date records of the music library utilizing the best techniques and tools available.
- The Music Director will work with the station manager to oversee the bibliographic data mining required to implement digitization of library.
- Will also oversee delegation of tasks to library volunteers; including follow-up management and scheduling with the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Charting and Statistical Reporting
- The Music Director is responsible for the accurate tracking and reporting of music played at WMSE.
- The Music Director is also responsible for coordinating with the volunteer DJs the specific genre chart reporting required by NACC and other reporting organizations.
- Also works directly with record company representatives to report relevant statistics.
- Relationship Management
- Works with station manager and promotions director to enhance the quality and quantity of musical events, musical appearances and other opportunities to partner WMSE with local, regional, national and international talent.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Required to make routine public appearances on behalf of WMSE. This will include weekend and evening commitments.
- Creates an environment where listeners feel welcome and part of the station and station sponsored/related events.
- Must be able to help with the training and supervision of community volunteers.
- Sets up and trains WMSE volunteer DJs to use WMSE’s online playlist system (Spinitron).
- Works with development director to assist in creating capital campaigns and other fundraising specific to library activities.
- Schedules interviews and in-studios with musicians.
- Organizes, creates and edits web copy related to WMSE’s musical programming for the WMSE web site.
- Must have a college degree and extensive knowledge of music from the early 1900s to the present.
- Ideal candidate will have a background in library sciences and two or more years of radio experience.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- High proficiency with standard personal and office computing programs; Working familiarity with Radio Works or similar sales management tools.
- Ability to perform tasks accurately under deadline pressure.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of Milwaukee, including musicians, businesses, arts organizations, non-profits, neighborhoods, and people.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with keen attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Initiative and demonstrated organizational skills, including prioritization; strong interpersonal skills; and strong technical skills – must have the ability to manage and update contact databases.
- Work hours will increase during on-air pledge drives. The music director takes part in the drives, as well as working on-air shifts as required.
- A working knowledge of the public radio broadcasting industry including hardware and technology is desirable.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before others. Ability to effectively communicate in both written and oral form.
- Ability to use numbers to solve problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is largely sedentary, the ability to move is required. The employee is occasionally required to traverse within their work area as well as other areas on campus.
- This position requires the ability to lift 30 lbs, a valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role uses standard office equipment, including but not limited to computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of MSOE to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, marital status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all jobs at the University and to all the terms, benefits, and conditions of employment/enrollment.
Job Code: 222
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Music+Director&c=Milwaukee+School+of+Engineering&l=Milwaukee%2C+WI&jk=13cd6e00cbe39085&rtk=1g6eg8r4oh1hm800&from=rss→