Lower School Music Teacher – University School of Milwaukee Corporation – Milwaukee, WI
University School of Milwaukee Corporation
Full Job Description
General Summary: Provides music instruction to Lower School children (grades kindergarten-grade 4) by encouraging creative expression, nurturing music abilities, and creating a positive learning environment for optimum learning. In addition, serves as a resource to provide quality professional development to faculty as needed to integrate musical concepts into the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaches general music to Lower School children including harmony, note reading, appreciation, history, and ensemble.
- Enhances the musical and academic performance of all children in the area of music education by using appropriate techniques, instruments, strategies, technology, and other materials to achieve the desired instructional goal.
- Provides instruction by which children develop musical concepts, appreciations, music reading skills, and the ability to make qualitative judgments about music.
- Adapts the curriculum to the needs of children with varying intellectual and musical abilities, as well as accommodation of a variety of instructional activities.
- Communicates and obtains feedback from children in a manner that enhances student learning and understanding.
- Evaluates each student’s performance and growth in knowledge and musical understandings, and communicates progress with parents and students.
- Plans and presents all-inclusive music programs and exhibitions designed to showcase the work of the children to the school and the community.
- Serves as a resource to faculty in the area of music education and techniques.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve an optimal learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Attends and participates in professional meetings, including collaborative teams, division meetings, and professional development.
- Initiates, implements, and coordinates a variety of program components, which will further enrich and strengthen the school music program in a collaborative manner.
- Completes other tasks as deemed appropriate by the Preschool and Lower School Administration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the instrumental, vocal, and choral music content area and approved curriculum
- Proficient in reading music
- Proficient piano skills and/or accompanying
- Skilled choral director
- Secure knowledge of best practices in music instruction, and the ability to utilize a variety of resources for each area taught
- Ability to plan for and execute a multi-grade level concert
- Strong classroom management skills with the ability and the desire to work with a diverse student population
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and maintain positive professional relationships
- Ability to read, comprehend, follow and give oral and written instructions
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong degree of self- direction and motivation
- High level of maturity, confidentiality, and assertiveness
- Capable of using tact and diplomacy in dealing with others
- Capable of competently operating technology
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree in music or music education preferred
- WI DPI music licenses 515 (general music), 505 (music), 506 (instrumental music), 510 (vocal music), or 511 (choral music) preferred
- 3-5 years teaching experience
- Music Together certification preferred, but not required