Content Editor – Radio 1 (BBC Audio)
BBC Audio devises, develops and delivers original content for the BBC. We produce award winning podcasts, radio and music programmes, deliver live events, provide creative services and forge partnerships. You can find out more about us here…
Whilst this is a continuing contract for a Content Editor in BBC Audio; working in the team that supplies programmes across Radio 1, 1Xtra and Asian Network; the successful applicant will initial lead the BBC Audio producers who deliver Radio 1 Weekends (Adele Roberts, Dean McCullough, Matt & Mollie) as well as the big impact calendar moments for the station from Comic Relief to Minute of Me.
aims to entertain and engage the UK’s young population with a distinctive mix of new music and entertaining content; the brand looks to connect the BBC with the next generation of young audiences and be the leading voice in youth UK culture.
This role will be the creative, editorial and managerial lead for Radio 1’s impact calendar and weekend schedule. This position sits within BBC Audio’s Radio 1/1Xtra & Asian Network team. You’ll be supporting the Head of Production but also working closely with the Head of Radio 1 to deliver compelling, ambitious and distinctive content. You should have relevant experience in the music or media industry, be able to demonstrate a track record of developing new presentation talent and delivering big impact ideas.
Your leadership and creative vision will help shape the direction and development of BBC Radio 1 and the people who deliver it. Leading with flair, creativity and a collaborative approach in particular with production, commissioners and presenters; you’ll excel at inspiring commitment from, and managing, a diverse and talented team, harnessing potential from the widest possible workforce. You will have strong interpersonal and decision-making skills, coupled with the ability to establish credibility and maintain effective working relationships with senior contacts both internal and external to the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven ability to develop innovative output, be open to new ideas and motivate colleagues to take creative risks, within the parameters of the Guidelines.
- Strong understanding of evolving young audience requirements, ensuring that new forms of content are considered as part of the creative process.
- Experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with partners.
- Evidence of leadership and management experience at a senior level.
- Experience of financial responsibility as it relates to content.
- Strong relationships with the UK music and events industry.
- A track record of successfully pitching for new business.
- Strategic understanding and passion for popular music content (including content delivered by Radio 1, 1Xtra & Asian Network).
Contract type: Continuing
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
Login to see the full job post and apply link. Register here for your free account.
Become a pro member to set up custom job alerts (daily/weekly/mothly)