Assistant Director of Music for Music Education – St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church – Madison, WI
St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church
$40,000 – $45,000 a year
Full Job Description
St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church is a dedicated and faithful parish community, located on the west side of Madison, Wisconsin. Since our foundation in 1959, our parish family has grown to 2,500 families and counting. St. Maria Goretti is an active and vibrant community through our school, faith formation initiatives, outreach programs, and parish life ministries.
St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church Music Ministry offers a comprehensive vocal and choral music education program for students and adults, an active concert series, choral scholarships, and unique performance opportunities both locally and internationally. Through fine repertoire, advanced vocal and musical education, prayer, and a positive learning environment, members of the parish music ministry develop life-long values which enhance their spiritual lives and the people to whom they minister. Repertoire for each liturgy is drawn from a wide range of liturgical music from throughout the ages: Gregorian chant, traditional hymnody, Renaissance Masses and motets, orchestral Masses, and music from the Anglican choral tradition. St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church is also a proud member of the Royal School of Church Music and educates our choristers utilizing the VOICE for LIFE training scheme.
MISSION OF MUSIC MINISTRY
As ministers of the word through music, the music ministry is dedicated to providing leadership in the worship of God and in the proclamation of God’s word. In turn, we strive to present superiority in the artistic training and Christian formation of youth and adults and to enrich the cultural life of the community.
The Assistant Director of Music for Music Education is responsible for monitoring and ensuring the successful delivery of all aspects of the St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church and School (SMG) curriculum to all students (child and adult). This includes, but is not limited to, the continued development of the music education curriculum for SMG and assisting in the overall development in the training programs, performances, choral programming, artistic development, educational and community outreach, recruitment, and in the liturgical life of the parish.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide general music education (vocally centric) to students grades K – 4 or other assigned grades.
- Collaborate with music staff to ensure that the curriculum is understood and followed.
- Develop, recruit, administrate and direct Parish Children’s Choir
- Administrate and teach music education classes for adults
- Develop, administrate, and execute music education and history courses at the Parish.
- Provide piano accompaniment and serve as primary cantor for all Saturday Vigil Masses.
- Administrate, recruit, and direct 1-2 musical ensembles, as assigned.
- Serve as piano accompanist for ensemble(s), as assigned.
- Assist in all forms of recruitment and retention efforts
- Assist other music staff in teaching 5-8th grade students when needed
- Regularly attend workshops and clinics as a representative of SMG (ie. ACDA, MENC conferences, etc.)
- Work with Director of Music and administrative staff in developing/booking tours, retreats, and run-outs for School and Parish choirs.
- Assist the Director of Music with liturgical planning, artistic development, educational and community outreach including the continued development of choral workshops, retreats, and festivals, chorister recruitment, fundraising, communications, and other duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
SALARY & BENFITS
- $40,000-$45,000; commensurate with experience
- Generous vacation: 4 weeks of paid vacation are provided during the summer, regular school holidays (Christmas break and Spring break)
- Generous benefit package including
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Continuing Education Fund
- Sick Leave
- Retirement Fund Contribution
- Bachelor of Music or Bachelor of Arts in Music (preferably in Music Education)
- Master of Music (music education or choral conducting preferred)
- Training in Kodaly or Ward pedagogy strongly preferred
- Previous experience in music education preferred
- Advanced piano / keyboard skills required
- Knowledge of children’s choral repertoire, sacred and secular preferred
- Strong organization, communication, and problem solving skills
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills to work with wide variety of personalities
- Must be flexible and able to work days, evenings, and weekends as needed
- Willingness to support the mission of the Roman Catholic Church
START DATE: August 1, 2022
JOB TYPE: Full-Time (12 months)
Please send a cover letter giving your reasoning for applying for this position, a resume/CV, names and contact information of 3-5 references (references will only be contacted if you are considered a finalist for the position), and a sample 30-minute mock concert program for a treble choir of 3rd – 4th grade students. Please write a short description of why you have chosen each piece.
Pending a review of your materials, semi-finalists will be invited to complete a Skype or Facetime interview. Finalists may be invited to an in person interview. The selected candidate must complete a criminal background check and VIRTUS training prior to being offered a letter of employment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 – $45,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
- Bachelor’s (Required)
Work Location: One location
Hiring 1 candidate for this role