Assistant Director of Campus Ministry for Liturgical Music – Marquette University – Milwaukee, WI
Full Job Description
2. Direct the liturgical choir and oversee all aspects of the organizational and formation of the choir: Provide formation, training and scheduling for cantors, instrumentalists, and members of the music ministry team; Recruit and train music office student assistants (including a choir librarian); Schedule students’ weekly hours and assign tasks as needed for the maintenance of music resources; Select and plan appropriate music for liturgies in collaboration with the director of liturgy; Select music for liturgical choir services and concerts; Maintain appropriate objectives and standards as required by the Department of Communications / Performing Arts for this one credit course; Prepare and lead music for weekly rehearsals, Sunday, and all-university Masses; Plan and execute two annual liturgical choir concerts (typically, a December lessons and carols service in the fall semester and a spring concert in the spring semester); As far as possible, consult with other music groups and their directors on campus to ensure scheduling coordination and opportunities for musical collaboration (for example: Liturgical Choir and Marquette University Chorus and other vocal groups for the annual lessons and carols service); In consultation with the liturgical choir council, plan and oversee the fall semester three-day choir retreat and the spring semester one or two-day retreat; Recruit a student liturgical choir accompanist for the choir and provide training and support for this position; Serve as mentor and resource for the Liturgical Choir Council.
3. Collaborate with the Director of Liturgy: Select and prepare music selections in collaboration with the director of liturgy and with student music ministry teams; Prepare and schedule liturgy training sessions and liturgy preparation meetings for students; Collaborate with the director of liturgy to prepare worship aids for campus ministry masses and prayer services; Work with the director of liturgy to prepare ecumenical or interfaith prayer services and memorial services; Work with the director of liturgy to provide music and student musicians for the campus chapel requests; Supervise student music office assistants to provide music support for outside groups which reserve the chapels; Collaborate with the director of Catholic formation and the director of liturgy to ensure appropriate music for campus ministry sacramental celebrations.
4. Serve as an active member of the Campus Ministry Staff: Report to the director of campus ministry and participate in bi-weekly meetings; Participate in team meetings, planning, and committee work as assigned or needed; Work with all campus ministry team members, especially the director of Catholic formation and the director of liturgy; Prepare an annual performance review and maintain current files; Be available for pastoral counseling and crisis situations; Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the director.
5. Supervise the Gospel Choir Director: Serve as a planning resource for the director, especially in rehearsal scheduling and event planning, recruitment, and publicity; Provide opportunities to collaborate on multi-cultural celebrations throughout the year whenever possible (Mass of the Holy Spirit, MLK Day, Black History Month, Baccalaureate Mass, occasional concerts).
6. Collaboration and stewardship: Maintain communication and collaboration with the Department of Communication / Performing Arts, the Chair of the Music Department and Marquette University Chorus Director; Serve as a music resource to the Jesuit community at Marquette as well as Campus Ministry Staff members, university faculty and staff and alumni; Maintain effective communication and collaboration with the Church of the Gesu staff, their parish liturgist and music director / organist; Assume responsibility for maintaining copyright licenses for liturgies (including music reprint permission and for streaming/ podcasts); Take responsibility for the care, maintenance and selection of musical instruments in university chapels (including acoustic, digital pianos and percussion instruments).
7. Perform other duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Experience in choral conducting; Experience leading music ministry in a Catholic parish, school, or university setting; strong piano and accompaniment skills.
Excellent communication skills, strong administrative and organizational skills.
Familiarity with Microsoft Office.
Ability to collaborate with members of the Campus Ministry team.
Working knowledge of Catholic Social Teaching and Vatican II documents on Liturgy
Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Experience working in campus ministry in a university setting.
Bachelor’s degree in Theology or Pastoral Ministry.
Organ and accompaniment skills.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Posted 2 days ago