ASSISTANT CHIEF ENGINEER – KOTA/KEVN – Gray Television – Rapid City, SD
Full Job Description
About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KOTA and KEVN are the ABC and FOX affiliates in Rapid City at the base of the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. KOTA and KEVN and the market leaders for local news, sports and weather and recently moved in to a new, state of the art facility. KOTA and KEVN feature separate brands. Both stations cover the Black Hills area of South Dakota as well as parts of eastern Wyoming. Our teams produce six daily newscasts and six weekend newscasts.
KOTA & KEVN are located in Rapid City, SD television DMA Market 173, a community of approximately 100,000 television HH.
Living and working in Rapid City – Link – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE2Wz03telQ&feature=youtu.be
KOTA-TV, the Gray Television owned, ABC/FOX affiliate in Rapid City, SD, is seeking an Assistant Chief Engineer. Position requires a full knowledge of station operations and technical layout, with a strong emphasis on broadcast news. Must possess good interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written, and be fully computer literate. Comprehensive knowledge of RF signals, transmission mechanics, mechanical engineering, and studio technical equipment operation. Technical skill enabling diagnosis to the module level required with the ability to diagnose to the electrical component level a plus. Requires competent knowledge of broadcast signal flow with the ability to quickly identify key points of failure and bypass faults with minimal system down time.
Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
- Manage all engineering aspects of the technical facility including studio support, post editing systems, field production support and transmission of live/taped events and programs.
- Have expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems and be able to step in an assist in emergency situations.
- Performs regular maintenance tasks including repairs, equipment replacement, supplies, etc.
- Documents and executes necessary corrective actions.
- Ensures all transmission equipment is operating correctly before and during live event telecasts – corrects and documents technical problems and report them to the managers.
- Ensures compliance with applicable regulations and communication with other departments by maintaining discrepancy logs and equipment incident reports and regularly auditing these documents to identify areas where performance or process needs to improve.
- Assist Chief Engineer in overseeing and implementing Engineering projects.
- Must be able to insert and remove control room rack equipment weighing 25-50 pounds with the help of another employee.
- Maintains building needs.
- Have working knowledge of the latest operating systems software, including server and desktop operating systems.
- Familiar with networking routing and IP addressing.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of all company facilities associated with our station. This includes HVAC, generators, security systems, satellite dishes, electrical, hardware, etc.
- Manage the maintenance and repair of the towers, antennas, and transmission lines/connections.
- Must be available to work during breaking news situations, severe weather, new system integrations and updates, and provide on call services 24/7.
- Must have at least 3 years of working experience in broadcast engineering.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related is preferred but is not required.
- On-the-job and/or formal training repairing Broadcast Transmitters.
- Display and maintain professional appearance, based on station standards and professional demeanor.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to operate and adapt in high pressure situations.
- Professional, communicative, highly self-motivated, detail oriented, and focused individual traits.
- Must have a clean driving record and live drug free.
Interested applicants can, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, we encourage you to upload your resume and cover letter
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
As a condition of employment, Gray Television will require that newly hired employees, whether part-time or full-time, be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by the first workday to the extent permitted by applicable law unless you qualify for a medical or religious accommodation.
- 3 year(s): working experience in broadcast engineering.
- Bachelors or better in Engineering or related field
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=Assistant+Chief+Engineer&c=Gray+Television&l=Rapid+City%2C+SD&jk=f8597a09fd5936d1&rtk=1fs9cfb5d2v6t000&from=rss→